Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bring on the New Year

This past year was a roller coaster.  Ups and downs with everything in my life.  I spend a lot of time behind the lens and in front of the monitor.  Editing, reading, searching, learning.  There has been one reoccurring theme that kept coming up this past year.


I get a lot of questions from people that go something like this.  "Dave, I want to get a new camera, what's the best camera I should get?"  I then fire back with numerous questions of what they want to do with the camera.  Do you want to have a lot of control of the settings?  Do you want portability?  Do you want one that has a shoe mount flash? (That one gets the 'deer in the headlights' look)  And when all is said and done I dig a little and then I get back to them with an answer.  This is truly something they can do on their own, at home online, clicking through the likes or dislikes of what they want, but I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

It was a couple months ago that I found this little bit of info from Khara Plicanic at Kabloom Studios blog.



The explanation of which camera to purchase that she fires back is one that I have used ever since.  And when you think about it, it's really true.  People get a camera and set it to AUTO or PROGRAM and leave it there.  The advice of reading the manual of the camera you already have and learn to use it to it's fullest will yield you much better results from the start.  And it's a big money saver.  It's when you find that your current camera isn't giving you what you need that it's time to start looking for a new one.  And she can give it all to you for a fair price, I think. 


So that is it for 2012, take your current camera and read the manual.  Start making more images and learn what it is that your camera can do.  Especially if you were given one over the holidays.


Reading this morning, I found an incredibly powerful story about what a picture can do and how that one picture can mean so much.  Take a look.



Have a great New Year!


Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment